Monthly Archives: November 2014

DIY Winter Wreath

winter wreath 7

This DIY winter wreath is easy and inexpensive to make.  I was inspired to create this by a wreath I saw online at West Elm for $60.  The one I created cost less than $20 and took about an hour and a half to make.

 

 

I started with some supplies:

1 1/2 yard of fleece

wire wreath frame

supplies for the little birds which you can find here

wreath supplies

I cut the fleece into 1 inch by 7 inch strips.

fleece strips

Then I simply tied them onto the wreath frame with a single knot.

winter wreath 1

winter wreath 2

winter wreath 4

winter wreath 5

And here are the aborable little birds I learned to make at this blog site.

cardinal 1

cardinal 2

cardinal 3

They were really easy and fun to make.  The only change I made was I used pins for the eyes.  It seemed easier than gluing little beads onto them.

I simply hot glued the birds to the wreath and used a red ribbon to hang it on my front door.

wreath 6

winter wreath 7

winter wreath 8

winter wreath 9

winter wreath

Category: Decorate

Snow Storm November 2014

Well, because I have been pretty occupied with snow this week, and didn’t have time for my blog, I thought I would show some of what has been going on here for those of you who don’t quite see snow like this. The grand total for West Seneca was 51 inches, I believe,  and we are getting hit pretty hard again right now.  These are pictures from Tuesday and Wednesday.

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

Hopefully soon I can get back to normal.  Until then, happy creating.

Dawn Marie

Category: Uncategorized

DIY Backsplash

wpid-tin-backsplash3.jpg.jpeg

Last week I showed you the before and after of my kitchen, and if you follow my posts at all, a lot of the projects I have done in this room have been on my blog.

One of the projects that I haven’t shone was my kitchen backsplash.

Here is the before.

image

image

Originally I thought, “I will just pull these tiles off and put up new ones.”  Of course, that is not how it was going to work out for me.  I started to try to take down tiles and the drywall came right with it.  I ended up with a hole in the wall.  I tried a few more to be sure it wasn’t just a fluke, low and behold, they also left a hole in my wall.  I wasn’t really into hanging drywall for this project, and at this point there was no turning back, so I had to rethink my options.

In the big box home improvement stores they sell look alike tin, that can be used as a back splash.  Unfortunately even with the small space I was redoing it was expensive.  So, I took a ride to Buffalo Reuse, a local resale store and searched for antique tin ceiling tiles.

Here is what I found.  This picture is after all of the scraping and sanding.  I also used a liquid paint remover on these pieces.

image

Once I had it cleaned up, I sprayed it with spray paint.  I used a hammered metal paint that I bought at Lowe’s.  I didn’t want to use nails or screws to attach it, and there was also the problem of the tile (and holes) behind it, so I used Liquid Nails to attach my backsplash.  I also spray painted the socket covers on that wall to match the backsplash.

image

image

image

image

Until next time….happy creating.

Dawn Marie

Category: Uncategorized

Kitchen before and after

Back when I started my blog, I promised some before and after pictures.  Well, since I finished my kitchen island last week, I thought I would show where we started six years ago.

When we bought our house, I definately had a vision.  I liked the layout of the house and felt that most of the changes that needed to be made we could do ourselves.  Granted six years later we are still working towards the original vision, but I guess these things can’t happen overnight now can they.

Please excuse these pictures, they are actually pictures I took of pictures.  (Can I use the word picture any more times in the same sentence?  I think not.)

image

image

There is nothing inately wrong with this kitchen, but as any new homeowner, you want to make a space your own.  The first thing we did was take down the wallpaper.  The paper above the chair rail was very easy to remove, but the green paper proved impossible.  We ended up using wainscoting on the lower half of the wall and put up a new chair rail.

image

You may notice some of my other DIY projects hanging on the walls. 

Turning around, in the kitchen, you will see a lot of other changes.  I refinished the cabinets using a Rustoleum kit I bought at Lowe’s.  We replaced the counters with stock countertops that you can purchase at Lowe’s or Home Depot.  We also replaced the sink and faucet.  I luckily have a handy husband who can do the more intensive labor.

We were also able to move a few cabinets around to accomodate the over the range microwave.  I added a new pendant light above the sink.

image

I also replaced all of the cabinet pulls.  I took off the hinges and spray painted them black because I could not find the same size hinges to go back in the screw holes.  I painted them about three years ago and they are holding up great.

image

This glass cabinet originally had a blue and green stained glass flower that I did not care for.  I broke it out and purchased this glass at a glass center for $13.  It is a simple rectangle that is mounted with mirror mounts on the inside of the cabinet.

image

My husband also replaced the linoleum with Brazilian Teak hardwood.  Before I refinished the cabinets it was a lot of wood.

image

image

So, six years later, the kitchen is done…I think…well, for now anyway.

image

image

Thanks for reading, see you next week.

Dawn Marie

Category: Uncategorized