Monthly Archives: September 2014

Wall Display

wpid-dsc_2217.jpg

Not everything you hang on the wall needs to be in a picture frame. 
A wall display can be created out of any number of memorabilia you have and have NO IDEA what to do with!

The beaded purse belonged to my grandmother. I thought it was beautiful, and I didn’t want to leave it in a drawer somewhere to be forgotten about.  It also isn’t super practical as a purse…

image

The hat belonged to my husband’s grandfather.  While he occasionally wears it on St Patricks day,  it is not an everyday part of his attire.  But it was hand made locally and is pretty cool.

image

I found the little picture in my grandparents house and I really didn’t know what I was going to do with it at the time, but it fit well in this trio.

image

All together they create a feeling from out of the past…

image

image

image

Happy creating…

Category: Uncategorized

DIY Mercury Glass

wpid-mercury-glass.jpg.jpeg

I have seen and tried a lot of different ways to get a mercury glass effect at home, but I have never been really happy with the results.  Here is a little DIY Mercury Glass project that gave me the results I was looking for.
(After a lot of trial and error!)

I started practicing with spaghetti sauce jars until I got the effect I was looking for.
(My boys enjoyed a lot of homemade pizza during this period of time.)
I then moved on to Ball jars for this project, but you can obviously use any type of clear glass.

image

So…Ball jar, Looking Glass spray paint, black acrylic paint, some leftover chalkboard spray paint, and a nice sunny spot in the yard.
(My husband has stopped asking about the different colored spray paint spots everywhere. )

I painted the lids of my jars with some leftover black chalkboard spray paint, but you could use the black acrylic, or leave them off all together.

image

I then spray painted the inside of the ball jar following the directions on the Looking Glass spray paint.

image

Then I used a wrinkled up paper towel to apply the black paint sparingly and let it dry.

image

Once it was dry, I sprayed a light coat of the Looking Glass to the outside of the jar over the black paint.  You kind of have to use your best judgement here.  My  recommendation is to start with a very light coat and add a little at a time until you are happy with the results.

image

The Looking Glass paint has a different appearance where it covers the black paint creating the effect.

image

Until next time…happy creating.

Category: Uncategorized

DIY Yard Games

wpid-dice-3.jpg.jpeg

Yes, it’s about time to put away the pool toys and spinklers and get ready for fall.  But, it does not mean all of the outside fun is over for the season.

My boys and I found these ideas on Pinterest and thought that they woud be fun to make.  We headed to Lowes for some 2x4s and a 4×4.  (Make sure the wood you get is not pressure treated)

With the help of a chop saw and a mouse sander, we created these fun games…

image

image

image image

We used these dice and a large bucket to play Yahtzee in the back yard.

And now for the Jenga…

image

image

So, enjoy the last few weeks of summer, you never know when that polar vortex may show up again. :-)

Category: Uncategorized

DIY Wall Tin

wpid-20140902_212411.jpg

Well, I finished my third project and my wall is now complete.

We did a little traveling over the last week before school started again so that was the hold up.  It really was a fairly simple project.

So here is my DIY wall tin.

I started with a trip to Buffalo Reuse. They often have piles of tins that have come out of the ceiling of old buildings. I already knew the size I wanted the finished piece to be so I searched for a piece of tin that would work.

I unfortunately have no idea what happened to my before picture of the tin, but you will have to take my word that it was a rusty,  flaky,  mess when I got it.  This picture was after I brought it home and started some sanding.

image

This project is simple, but can be time consuming.  I spent a lot of time sanding off the loose paint and revealing some of the original metal.  I used both an electric sander and a sanding sponge.  Once I had it looking how I wanted it, I was ready to attach it to my frame.

I made a simple frame with 1×2 trim board.  I used tin snips to trim my art to size.  I added an inch to each side to wrap around the frame and attach it.

image

I cut the corners so that I could wrap them with out having gaps.  I used a hammer to get the tin wrapped around the frame.

image

I tacked the edges down with a few finishing nails on each side.

image

image

And attached a hook to hang it.

After that, I coated it with a gloss spray paint to seal it and protect it.

image

image

And finally I was ready to hang it up…

image

image

image

Until next time….

Category: Uncategorized